Coastalfishing.org Forum Index Coastalfishing.org
Coalition of Confused Coastal Fishermen

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to cook Florida Pompano

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Coastalfishing.org Forum Index -> General Discussion Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KappaFish
Newly Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: How to cook Florida Pompano Reply with quote

I am really excited - yesterday I was at the pier and after fighting my way through the hords of Winter Texans Evil or Very Mad (Sorry if u were one of them) I got my special spot at Bob Hall Pier and ran into a schoold of Pompano. Caught 5 really nice 10-13in ones. The last time and my 1st time ever catching one was around last year. but I traded it for a 24in Trout.

Back to my question - I want to try something different with these fish because I heard they are awesome to eat and I dont want to do the regular blackened style I do with my reds and trout. If any one has any recipes please share - will even accept if you are a winter Texan Laughing
Beachbum
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of good fish recipes in the recipe pages ... follow the recipes link from the main CCCF page. Some are named with particular fish, but most can be applied to any type of fish, and would work well with pompano. Let us know what you try and how it turns out for you!! ... Very Happy
Sam Wells
Confused Beyond Hope

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Beachbum, the baked fish recipe is the best here - and you have to use real butter. The fish is too delicate and usually too small for burning on a BBQ or blackening. In Florida restaurants they'll broil them in butter in a metal sizzler dish (without a cracker coating) but it can be stinky in a home oven. The trick it to do things lightly - easy on the baking and not a lot of crackers of puddly, goopy stuff. Just lemon and butter and a dusting of cracker - I use pounded Saltines but some like Ritz crackers better (remember they have salt on them). Heavily spiced commercial cornmeal packages like for redfish are just too heavy for this pompano fish, one of the finest eating feesh ever.

You mentioned Winter Texans in the original message so I was thinking you meant catching them in the winter and spring surf, when they are most plentiful. If you're catching "Florida Pompano" much over a pound or two, you've got Jackfish or the completely inedible Jack Crevalle, which are despised by fishermen as being poor fighters and bad to eat. Cut the line or unhook them or use them to fertilize your tomatoes, is my suggestion.

In the summer if you can get out to the rigs or reefs you can catch "poor man's Pompano," which is the triggerfish. Small hooks are needed. Nowhere near as good eating, a little chunkier and harder to clean with that big ole trigger bone, but the same butter/lemon baking idea as for the noble Pompano. Try it sometime - tight lines.

-Swells

P.S., maybe Barnacle Bill will share his BBQ shark recipe - I use lots of hot sauce on mine and I want to see what he says about that. Cholula, Tabasco, whatever. The grilling seems to neutralize the heat but leave the taste, for some reason.
Barnacle Bill
Flounder Flopper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few recipes. On the beach is usually the only place I catch and keep sharks. I'll catch them and clean them IMMEDIATELY. Then, I season it with cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt and a little garlic salt. I'll also throw some Tony's on there. I wrap it in saran wrap then in foil and throw it in a cooler for no less than 4 hours. I should mention that I use mainly Blacktip sharks UNDER 36". Most of the time, I leave them to marinate about 6 hours. I heat the grill up and let the coals and mesquite get going for about 30 minutes. Then, I throw a little more mesquite on and throw on the shark. Keep it in the foil but open the top. After an hour, take away the foil and put the shark directly on the grill. This gives the shark some time to smoke in the juice and adds to the flavor. Once directly on the grill, cook it until it's "fork tender". Afterwards, wrap it back in the foil to keep it warm. That way, you can snack on it most of the day or sit down to a hefty meal of shark.
The basic issue is to throw on the spices YOU like. It's hard to cook it wrong.
If you want to make shark steaks at home, soak them in milk for a few hours then drain them well, season them with your favorite seasonings and throw them on th grill. Smoke it for a while though with your favorite wood. That adds some good flavor.
Barnacle Bill
Flounder Flopper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to cook with Tobasco, Cholula, etc. That is the way I do my hotwings. I pour on a couple of bottles then let them site for 2 or 3 hours and then on the grill they go! Cooking with hot sauce doesn't always remove a lot of the heat. Most of the liquid is vinegar so when that evaporates, you're left with the dry spices as it were which may or may not allow for more heat depending on what you're using.
HadtoGO
Pinfish Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: HTG's fish taco's Reply with quote

Works w/ any fish fillet.

Clean fillets & pat dry.
Place on foil wrapped cookie sheet.
Add a bunch of pats of butter.
Garlic or seasoned salt to taste.
Place a tablespoon of Roasted Arriba Green & Red Salsa on each fillet.
Throw in a few whole green jalapenos.
Sliced up green, yellow & red bell peppers.
A handfull of peeled shrimp or shucked oysters can't hurt.
Cover & seal this mess w/ another piece of foil, real tight.
Place it on a hot pit 350* for +-15 mins. (If you hear it sizzle its done)
Keep this mess sealed until ready to serve.
Serve w/ hot tortillas, beer, shredded cabbage, beer, fresh pico, beer, wasabi sauce & don't forget the beer.
Yellow rice & a pot of ranch beans & beer can't hurt either.
Rayfish
Cut Bait

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Jacks Reply with quote

Sam, you rate Jack Crevelle as poor fighters and despised by fishermen. Sorry to disagree with you but my experience is that they are extremely tough fighters, absolute tackle busters. I love to hang into them. Now I will agree that they are pretty much inedible. I have smoked them as strips to make fish jerky and they are barely edible.

Rayfish
Borg
Intermediate Confusion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been lucky enough to catch a handful of pompano in my lifetime but here is what I do....

Gut and gill...leave the head on if your guest and you are not squeamish.
Make a few vertical slits on each side down to the backbone, rub with a bit of olive oil, a little salt and pepper, add a few sprigs of FRESH herbs, thyme or dill, basil, fennel..combo, whatever, just a little. Wrap in parchment paper or LOOSE foil and bake at about 375 for 20 minutes or so, maye 35 for a biggun.

In my opinion less is more with pompano. Taste too darn good on its own. Forget the buter, lemon, garlic...maybe a little on the plate.

I am getting to be more of a minimalist when it comes to baking or grilling fish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Coastalfishing.org Forum Index -> General Discussion Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: